Spending quality time with your children. Easy enough? Well... no phones, no siblings, no distractions. Plain 1:1 attention, play, free choice, for a minimum of 15 minutes each day.
Spending quality time with your child is important for so many reasons. Here are 5 major benefits (on a list that has no end)!
- It builds children’s self-esteem. Children who spend time with their parents participating in activities together build a positive sense of self-worth. When children feel that they are valued by their parents, they feel more positive about themselves.
- It makes family bonds even stronger. Families who share everyday activities together form strong, emotional ties. Studies have found that families who enjoy group activities together share a stronger emotional bond as well as an ability to adapt well to situations as a family.
- It encourages and helps develop positive behavior. Children who spend more time with their parents are less likely to get involved in risky behavior. For example, children who frequently eat with their families usually have improved dietary intake compared to those who don’t eat as often with family members.
- It establishes good communication. When you spend time with your children, you are fostering an environment for open communication. Good communication is important for your children to feel comfortable talking to about anything.
- It helps your child be a great friend. Children learn by example. If you are setting a good example for them by spending quality time together, they are more likely to adopt those behaviors in other relationships in their lives.